I did it. Finally.
And it was amazing. The most scariest thing ive ever done in my life. Im now finally scared of something.
I didn’t sleep a wink all night before. Heart beat racing, adrenaline like ive only ever felt once before. I was scared sh1tless and i there was still 7hrs to go. So i laid in bed listening to ACDC, Van Morrison and Rage Against The Machine and just felt true fear. It could go either way. Lucky for me it went the right way. It didn’t for many others.
I started at the aptly named Dead Mans Corner. I now know that’s the worst place to start. Itd be so unlike me to do things the easy way wouldn’t it? Seeing 6 x 650kgs of bull run past me at about 26km/h through a narrow cobblestone street and being surrounded by 3,000 drunk Spaniards all tripping over each other was intense. Also, the locals don’t really like us foreigners so they try to trip us, throw chairs and sticks, etc. I ran alongside the main pack for maybe 3 seconds. One of the best 3 second events in my life. Then the bulls bolted up to the stadium. I tried to keep up by my legs only number 2 and the bulls have 4 – besides i was more worried about tripping over the drunken Spaniards that had been floored by the bulls and each other. I ran like hell to the bullring / stadium cause they close the gate as soon as the 6 bulls get through. I got there just as the gate closed – boo. But then 30secs later they opened it and i again ran like hell to get into the bullring / stadium. I got in - yay. As i ran through about 15,000 people were screaming and cheering for us runners. For 3.2 seconds i was a rock star. Then they released the little bulls (that have been kept in a dark room for 48hours to taunt them) and these cute little bulls went berko and tried to kill us all. Awesome.
I cant describe clearly what it was like. Theres no sensation to compare with this. Suspended animation. A state of bliss. Maybe some of Columbias finest marching powder could compare but i haven’t been there. But i will say that to better the experience, id need to have me, Drew Barrymore, a six pack of Wagon Wheels, and a trampoline to try to compete. Oh, we’d be listening to Led Zeppelin IV on vinyl at the same time too. That would be awesome.
Theres the usual Playmo photos of the bullring / stadium. I didn’t take photos on the bull run cause i was more concerned about not dying or having a bull horn penetrate me. But i did film a bit of the run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydfooUoalU
i have more video that ill upload later, but i need some sleep first – have been awake for over 37 hours and need to get up in a couple of hours to do it all again.
Ive crossed many items off my bucket list in my 33 1/3 years on this planet. Today i ticked another one off the list. Epic x infinity.
adam

No comments:
Post a Comment